Saturday 12 October 2013

Spartacus


I'm skipping past my past week of travel to present day, in Rome. Out of the good and bad news I'll start with the bad.

Today my wife and I went to Vatican City. On the way home we got onto the tube. It was a bit busy and some guy, about 13-15 years old was pushing past me to get onto the tube. I managed to get in first however once I got on I checked my pocket and said to my wife "my phone just got stollen" as I saw the guy getting of the train and realised it was him. I thought better of myself to not chase after him because it's probably better to protect your safety and the doors were closing. He was wearing an orange stripped shirt but I didn't catch his face. 

That was a pretty awful experience which only happened 4 or 5 hours ago. I'm trying to reassure myself that it's ok and in the end it's just money. Luckily I keep my wallet safely inside my bag. Still it's upsetting and a hard lesson learnt. Don't use your pockets in Europe. The phone wasn't to expensive so not loosing out to much. It does make me think, I hope the blighter that took it needed it for something like his dying mother not just drugs or what not. He also had pretty amazing fingers as I didn't feel a thing. Grr it makes me feel angry and slightly silly, but it could of happened to anyone. 

Anyhow the good news. Visited the colosseum yesterday and it was amazing stuff. Although slightly daunting realising how many people were killed needlessly there. 



It got me thinking of a game I played a while back called Spartacus where you all are a Dominus, a ruler of a large roman house. You are in charge of gladiators and slaves who run the house. The game involves you trying to undermine your fellow players, gamble in the gladiator arena while pitting your gladiators against one another. In the game there is also a neat bidding component where you blind bid to buy items, slaves and gladiators. Originally I was sceptical about the game but I do like the idea of it and only being 52NZD I think it might have to join my collection for a few good nights at gaming group. I guess I should also mention the game is related to the tv show Spartacus, which I have never seen. 

Now I better write the obligatory, 'I wrote this on my iPad so photo formations will be a bit off. 


9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your negative experience, though I had heard from travel shows that the area if rife with pickpockets and other charlatans and con men... all living in the land of the '10 commandments' - thou shalt not steal! - yeah right!

    I always keep stuff in my front trouser pockets, never the back ones, I figure if someone gets their hand down the front of my jeans I gonna feel it for sure! And then a wrist can be grabbed easily...

    But either way don't take it personally - these scum target tourists which you undoubtedly appear to be to them... just be extra cautious from now on!

    Hope this Colosseum visit made up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott. Unfortunately I am a front pocket man but I certainly didn't feel it. Maybe they should invent a front centre pocket, that surely will do the trick. Alas I am sure I will get over it shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your bad new I was pick pocketed in Bethlehem of all places and know how insecure it makes you feel.
    On the plus side what an amazing place to visit you are a very lucky man
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer about your phone Steve, but nice picture go you and Sharlene there. The trick is not to let it affect you too much and to enjoy your trip, which it looks like you are. Never did get pick pocketed, but a pigeon did a huge crap on my head in Rome, which wasn't the coolest. The colleseum brings back some great memories too, come to think of it. Scene of one of Jess and my best fights... appropriate really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes a pigeon poo on your head is no fun! The Colosseum is a very good place to have a fight, glad to bring back positive memories :p

      Thanks everyone for your supportive comments.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the theft but as you said don't let it ruin your day or trip, you were right not to pursue as sometimes they have friends in the area to stop pursuit, nice pic of you and the missus Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francis, I had to ask permission to post the photo first. I keep on replaying the situation in my head, thinking it may be able to rush and grab him before he got out of the train. Yet I'm sure it was best not to chase him, who knows I may have got knifed or something.

      Delete
  6. Bummer about the phone - I heard there are some very experienced pick-pockets in that part of the world. Nice image of the Colosseum - the angle makes it look like gaming terrain. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I will survive without it, may even upgrade when I get home, or I was thinking of living more simply with something cheep. We researched a bit and found pick pocketing is on the rise in Rome and one of the most common techniques is to bump somebody while getting on the metro to distract them, grab their wallet them get off. Sadly I was pick pocketed in the most common way!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...